Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The Fremantle District Road Board was gazetted on 24 January 1871. It covered a large area between Fremantle and Armadale and included what are now several local governing bodies, among them Canning, East Fremantle and Melville. On 26 November 1891 the Jandakot Road board had been gazetted. On 13 August 1923 part of the Jandakot Road Board was transferred to Fremantle Road Board.
In 1897 the East Fremantle Municipal Council was established and in 1900 the East Fremantle Road Board was proclaimed. The latter subsequently became the Melville Road Board. In 1955 a district referendum favoured a change of name to the Cockburn Road board.
By an order-in-council gazetted on 21 January 1955, the Fremantle Road Board became the Cockburn Road Board.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
The Roads Act of 1888, 52 Vict No 16 (from 1/1/1889 until 31/12/1902);
The Roads Act 1902 (from 1/1/1903 until 30/6/1911);
The Roads Act No 29 of 1911 (from 1/7/1911 until 16/12/1919);
Road Districts Act 1919 (from17/12/1919 to 20/1/1955);