- 1902-11-07 - 1910-09-02 (Creation)
- 1902-07-01 - 1902-12-31 (Accumulation)
Level of description
Name of creator
In 1900, a Caves Committee was established following a report by government Surveyor Charles Erskine May outlining the advantages of the caves for tourism, with its first meeting on 31 January 1901(G.E. Rundle, "Early Days", RWAHS, 79(4), December 1996, p225). The President was H.F. Johnston (Surveyor General), Secretary F.J. Scells, and members H.F. Farmer and C. Emory.
In 1902, the government created a Board for the “protection and preservation of Caves and Flora, and for Health and Pleasure Resorts”, under the asupices of the Parks and Reserves Act, 1895. The Board comprised President H.F. Johnston, C.E. May, H.F. Farmer, E. Farrar and W.A. Hughes. Edgar Robinson was appointed to the Board in August 1903.
The Margaret River Caves were vested in the Board in 1902, and the Yanchep Caves Reserve in 1905. At this time, the Board comprised Dr J.W.H. Hackett (President), H.F. Johnston, J.G.C Foulkes, F. Wilson, W.A. Hughes, M.E. Jull, H.F. Farmer and the Chair of the Wanneroo Roads Board (ex-officio).
In 1910, all members of the Caves Board resigned (Government Gazette, 2 September 1910, p. 2354). J.D. Connolly (Colonial Secretary) was then appointed a one-man Board to control the Caves previously under the Caves Board (Government Gazette, 2 September 1910, p. 2351).
Control of the Caves at Margaret River was passed to Mr George Emery, General Manager of the State Hotels Department, on 20 November 1914. State Hotels ceased to exist in 1960. The caves then became the responsibility of the
(Further information see:
Western Australian Sub-Committee of the Australian Academy of Committee on National Parks. National parks and nature reserves in Western Australia. [Perth?] : The Academy : National Parks Board of W.A, ;
Margaret River Caves, and Yallingup Caves Lands and Surveys file 11823/1902, SROWA cons 1699)