- 1901-12-01 - 1980-10-01 (Creation)
Level of description
Name of creator
The Fremantle Harbour Trust was created under the Act of the same name in 1903. Certain functions of the Harbour and Light Department were transferred to the new body, particularly control of the pilotage service, signalmen and the Fremantle light keepers. A Board of Commissioners was responsible for carrying out the functions of the Harbour Trust as laid down by the Act. An Amendment Act in 1964 changed the name of the Trust to the fremantle Port Authority.
Under an amendment to the Fremantle Harbour Trust Act in 1964, the name of the Trust was changed to the Fremantle Port Authority.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The original signal station was established on Arthur Head in 1840 and until 1902 duties of the attendants included tending the lighthouse. The Arthur Head Signal Station continued until on 4 May 1929 the Cantonment Hill Signal Station came into operation giving an uninterruped view of the inner harbour and Gage Roads. Cantonment Hill Signal Station was subsequently relocated on the Port Authority building during March 1964 because the bulk grain silos at No 9 Berth North Quay blocked some vision of Gage Roads.
The logbooks record weather information, movement of ships and messages transmitted and received. Until 1939 only one book at a time was used. After this date two log books running concurrently were used which alternate between weeks (Sunday-Saturday).