- 1904-01-01 - 1949-01-01 (Creation)
Level of description
Name of creator
The Fremantle Harbour Trust was created under the Act of the same name in 1903. Certain functions of the Harbour and Light Department were transferred to the new body, particularly control of the pilotage service, signalmen and the Fremantle light keepers. A Board of Commissioners was responsible for carrying out the functions of the Harbour Trust as laid down by the Act. An Amendment Act in 1964 changed the name of the Trust to the fremantle Port Authority.
Under an amendment to the Fremantle Harbour Trust Act in 1964, the name of the Trust was changed to the Fremantle Port Authority.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
These log books record the sighting of vessels, weather information, messages received and transmitted and pertinent details pertaining to the lighthouse. The method of recording in the log book changes a number of times: - until 1924 only one log book is used at a time; between 1924 - 1934 two log books run concurrently alternating on a monthly basis; between 1934 - Sept 1943 three logbooks were used on a weekly basis (Wed-Thurs); between Oct 1943 - Sept 1945 there are no entries. According to Fremantle Harbour Trust minutes 18 March 1943 FHT signalmen were withdrawn from the signal station at Rottnest and signalling duties would be performed by Navy personnel effective from 1 Sept 1943.
After the war the Rottnest Island Signal Station was closed permanently. FHT minutes 7 Sept 1945 state 'following the termination of war the Navy Department was closing down its activities at the Port War Signal Station at Rottnest. However as notice has to be given it was to be re-established temporarily by FHT personnel'.