- 1953-07-10 - 1957-01-31 (Creation)
Level of description
Name of creator
Wooroloo Sanatorium was situated app. 65 kilometres east of Perth and was established as a consumptive sanatorium for the treatment of patients with pulminary tuberculosis. The hospital was built to accomodate up to 200 male patients and 100 female patients. Prior to its construction, most tuberculosis patients were treated at Coolgardie Sanatorium (tuberculosis was especially prevalent amongst miners in the goldfields). Upon completion of Wooroloo, patients were transferred from Coolgardie to the new hospital.
The hospital opened on 1 May 1915 and was converted to a prison facility after its closure in 1969.