- 1876-01-01 - 1888-12-31 (Creation)
Level of description
Name of creator
The first gaol in Perth was built circa 1830 and by 1855 its situation opposite Government House was deemed inappropriate and a new prison was built in Beaufort Street. This prison operated from 1856-1888.
In 1858 responsibility for Perth Gaol was transferred to the Imperial Convict Establishment in order to provide accommodation for parties of convicts employed on public works in the capital. At the same time all colonial prisoners were transferred to Fremantle Prison. In 1875 when the need for convict labour in Perth had dwindled the gaol was handed back to the colonial government.
The Gaol was closed in March 1888 after the last prisoner had been taken to Fremantle.