Type of entity
Legal Status Text
Authorized form of name
Other form(s) of name
Dates of existence
The Yalgoo Road District is located in the Murchison Goldfields of Western Australia and was gazetted in 1912, incorporating a portion of the previously established Upper Murchison Road District (gazetted in 1907).
The major town in the district was gazetted as Yalgu in 1896 due to the protocols for the spelling of Aboriginal words used at the time. The protocols were changed a few months later. The spelling of Yalgoo was formally gazetted in 1938. Yalgoo is believed to be an Aboriginal word meaning 'blood' or 'place of blood' and was first used by John Forrest when naming nearby Yalgoo Peak. The sap of the local bush is also bright red in colour.
Responsibility for part of the district was transferred to Mingenew in 1915, and to Perenjori and Dalwallinu in 1921. In 1926, part of the district was transferred back to the Upper Murchison, followed by a transfer to Cue in 1937. Responsibility for some land was transferred from the Murchison in 1939 and a second transfer to Perenjori occurred in 1955. The district was divided into three wards.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Abolition: The Local Government Act 1960 (from 1/7/1961 until 30/6/1996)